|at ( view profile)|
|Location||South East England, United Kingdom|
|Date Posted||30th October 2018|
In the field & office
We are looking for an enthusiastic and hard-working outdoor practitioner to take on a key role within our small team on a long-term basis. We run high-quality DofE Expeditions and multi-activity residentials in a variety of locations from Essex to the Wye Valley, with Gold expeditions further afield.
You will be responsible for planning and overseeing the delivery of all Outspark operations throughout the year. You will be able to lead a team of outdoor instructors and work unsupervised for large parts of the year. You will be comfortable leading expeditions and multi-activity residentials as well as admin tasks such as producing and editing all trip paperwork. There is scope to put your own mark on the company and develop the role over a number of years, including possible progression to Director level with a shareholding in the company. The role at present is about 50/50 delivery/office work and much of the office work will be solo admin - so you need to be able to switch between being a sociable team player and enjoying your own company.
As well as being a competent administrator and manager, you will be a very credible instructor, able to provide a good model for young people on our instructor development programme, and will be able to commit to our ethos of providing challenging experiences that give young people positive memories of the outdoors - for example, thinking it’s worth the effort of having a campfire on the evening of a training weekend, and encouraging schools to use locations for Silver that are a proper step up from Bronze, rather than doing the minimum to tick the box. We’re a professional, commercial company, but our origins are in a volunteer ethos, and we are passionate about passing on our enthusiasm for the outdoors.
Job Title: Outspark Operations Manager
Responsible To: Outspark Managing Director
Location: Own home and on expeditions/residentials as required
Start Date: 1st June 2019
Hours: The nature of the industry requires flexible working dependent on the tasks at hand. You will be expected to work on evenings, weekends and public holidays as required, and will keep an accurate note of the hours worked. The total number of days worked over each year should total 260 days before the deduction of 35 days annual leave; 225 days.
Salary: £28,750 per annum
CLOSING DATE: 12.30pm on 23rd November 2018
- Assessment and management of risk across all trips run by the company, including recces where required.
- Responsible for writing and distributing all trip paperwork and ensuring all relevant support is in place before each trip.
- Working a share of Duty Officer shifts throughout the season, receiving communications from expedition staff and liaising with emergency services, clients and parents/guardians where required.
- Managing staff recruitment, induction and monitoring.
- Leading annual staff training.
- Managing the Instructor Development Programme; coordinating the personal and professional development of instructor trainees.
- Preparing the company for inspections by AALA, DofE etc.
- Managing the stock, ordering and building of first aid kits, equipment & maps.
- Meetings & assemblies with clients, parents and participants.
- Previous experience working within the outdoor adventure/education industry with young people.
- A Mountain Leader (summer) qualification.
- Knowledge and commitment to the ethos of the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award.
- A high level of English Literacy and Numeracy
- Ability to build rapport over the phone as well as face to face
- Excellent multi-tasking and organisational skills.
- Computer and Microsoft Office proficient.
- Self-motivated and focused with the ability to work with limited supervision.
- Teamwork and leadership skills.
- Confidence to contribute to board meetings and challenge directors, and defend your professional judgement.
- Full driving licence and access to own vehicle.
- A D1 minibus driving entitlement.
- Other outdoor leading qualifications and skills suitable for multi-activity trips.
- Confidence and flair in delivering information/sales assemblies.
- Experience of marketing and/or sales in the outdoor or other industry.
If you are interested in this role, please email Jason at [email protected] with your CV and a Covering Letter detailing your relevant experience, qualifications and abilities and why you feel you are suitable for this role.
We are particularly keen to hear from members of the Explorers Connect community so please mention Explorers Connect in your application.