|Location||Hong Kong, Hong Kong|
|Date Posted||10th October 2018|
In the field
The ideal candidate will possess skills in a range of outdoor activities, especially sea kayaking and surfing, and have a broad base of environmental knowledge, capable of delivering educational programming to a wide range of ages and abilities.
During programs, the ideal candidate will model appropriate behaviors for school-aged children, motivate them in potentially unfamiliar/uncomfortable circumstances and clearly communicate a positive attitude and risk management behavior. The ability to communicate clearly and appropriately and engage with adults, children and other staff is of key importance.
As a young and rapidly growing company, a self-motivated candidate with a strong work ethic will have the chance to thrive in a dynamic environment. The ideal candidate possesses the ability to see a task through to completion, whatever the obstacles and come to the table with solutions. Because of the changeable nature of outdoor work, a candidate should quickly adapt to changing circumstances and demonstrate a flexible attitude, as well as a recognition of the needs of other staff, clients, teachers and children.
- Programme delivery/event management experience.
- Group leading experience, especially in sea kayaking/surfing. A candidate with experience organizing trips from first contact to delivery given preference.
- A bachelor degree, Certificate or Diploma in related discipline.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to use initiative.
- First Aid, but preferably Remote or Wilderness First Aid or higher.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and mitigate risk in outdoor and group settings.
- Experience working or travelling in the developing world (personal travel isrecognized).
- Previous experience working with youth / appropriate soft skills in outdoor settings.
- Can write and speak fluent English (with Cantonese or Mandarin advantageous).
- Police record check or Working with Children certificate or equivalent required.
Competitive salary and shared staff accommodation.
Courses in kayaking, surfing, leadership and medical certifications can be offered.
Variable schedule based on programs, tour bookings and project needs.
6-day work week. Due to the nature of the work, there are no scheduled hours per day. Overnights are expected on programs and some tours. Holiday times are compensated for by days off in lieu.
The position includes a lot of weekend and holiday work.
Programs take place in tent camping or dorm settings.
We are particularly keen to hear from members of the Explorers Connect community so please mention Explorers Connect in your application.