|at ( view profile)|
|Location||York, United Kingdom|
|Date Posted||20th July 2018|
In the office
Salary 25-30K depending on experience plus the opportunity for bonuses
This job is for managing a tour operator / activity centre with a head office in York and 3 locations across the Peak District and east and west Yorkshire Dales.
We are looking for somebody with either activity centre management or tour operator/travel agent management experience or… preferably both.
This is a dynamic and diverse role within the outdoors industry that encompasses the following:
• Overseeing administrative duties and course planning at our office in York, North Yorkshire.
• Managing a team of 5 full time staff and 100 freelance/part time staff
• Along with our Managing Director, you would be a key person in any case of emergency.
• Managing local ground crews in Nepal, you may need to travel to Nepal but not sure at this stage.
• Signing off holiday requests and ensuring there is always adequate cover for all aspects of the business.
• Selling and pricing tours
• Developing itineraries for large complex events and expeditions in the UK and abroad, including pricing and running them efficiently
• Outdoor instruction across Yorkshire and the Peak District
• Ensuring quality control of all our products
• Handling of complaints. Investigating complaints, finding solutions and communicating with our clients and agents.
• Liaising with the Directors to ensure they are kept informed of department developments.
• Collation of client information and emailing final booking confirmation to agents and suppliers overseas.
• Day to day liaison with overseas agents, accurate tracking and filing of all client and supplier information.
• A proven track record of managing projects and people, and bringing out the best in their performance.
• A sound understanding of the principles of risk management and experience of implementing them within an operational role.
• All roles associated with planning, selling and organising a trekking or multi-activity tour in Nepal, including: logistics, client issues and organising expedition details before arriving in country.
• Making sure we have staff available or ensuring other full time staff are getting this done
• Clients are of all ages and abilities: children, families, adolescents, Scout & community groups, charities, corporates, hen & stag do’s. We take around 7,000 people a year on adventures
• Miscellaneous tasks to assist in the successful running of an outdoor tour and adventure company
• Up dating our website with text, photos, trip reports, adding new trips, editing content
• Liaising with existing clients via email or phone – answering questions prior to an event
• Ensuring all staff have the relevant information before they run an outdoors session
• Ensuring we are compliant with AALA and ATOL regulations
• Dealing with technical advisors and suppliers
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND ATTRIBUTES
Lost Earth Adventures is looking for one suitable candidate that is able to fulfil these duties. The job is quite varied and should hold their ML and SPA at a minimum and Cave Leader is desirable.
• Overseas trekking and adventure travel experience
• Good communication skills, both written and verbal
• Strong eye for detail
• Excellent IT skills, particularly Excel & Word
• Ability to prioritise & manage multiple priorities
The candidate will be an outdoors enthusiast with a strong business head and great people skills. You will be mediating and liaising with a lot of different suppliers and staff and we need to get the best out of everybody and run a lean and profitable operation. You need to be hard working, love a challenge and help drive the business forwards. You need to have the courage to make decisions yourself and be responsible for helping to steer the business. You need to be good with numbers, a high workload and be calm under pressure. We want you to grow our team and have excellent delegating skills. You need to be clean cut, extremely organised, well presented and enjoy giving customers a flawless service. You need to be open minded, flexible and easy going but be firm and fair with a strong and likeable personality with excellent leadership skills. You must have a can do attitude and have a positive outlook on life and be highly resourceful, practical and diligent.
• Location – need to be based centrally to our operations and prepared to work mainly in York but travel regularly to Pateley Bridge, Hathersage and Ingleton. The better you can ensure all dates are staffed then the less travelling you’ll need to do.
• Must have own reliable vehicle and driver’s licence
• Minimum 2 years management experience in a similar sized organisation.
• Mountain Equipment, DMM and Wild Country equipment available at trade cost
• Cotswold 15% discount
• Opportunities for further professional development
• Salary increase based on performance
Lost Earth Adventures is a small, but rapidly growing, York based outdoors activity provider in the UK (mainly Yorkshire and Peak District) and overseas tour operator specialising in adventurous treks and multi-activity holidays to Nepal.
Contact: Richard Goodey: [email protected] with a covering letter and a CV. If you’d like a chat about this role first then please call 01904 500094.
We are AALA, ABTA and ATOL licensed, with plans for expansion in the UK to other mountainous areas (Lake District, North Wales, Scotland, Southwest England) in the near future. Long-term plans also include expansion of our overseas adventures to India and other Himalayan countries.
We’d like to have someone be able to take on this role and to be at the forefront of implementing these plans.
You can see what we do here: https://www.lostearthadventures.co.uk
We are particularly keen to hear from members of the Explorers Connect community so please mention Explorers Connect in your application.