|at ( view profile)|
|Location||Bramley, United Kingdom|
|Date Posted||18th December 2018|
In the office
Wilderness Expertise Ltd is a high-quality expedition provider with three core brands:
Wilderness Expertise has a focus on the delivery of tailored personal development expeditions and UK D of E and PD programmes for young adults. Inspire Worldwide specialises in setting up long-term links between charity partners in Africa and Asia and schools/corporate teams. Wind Sand and Stars specialises in historical journeys and retreats in south Sinai.
The focus of our programmes is to provide people with the opportunity to development as individuals, support and take part in hands-on sustainable community development projects, and to develop and expand their own cultural awareness. We pride ourselves on our high quality and personal touch.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and positive individual to manage all of the Operations within Wilderness Expertise Ltd and manage a small team of expedition/programme managers. We are entering an exciting new phase and the person who takes this Senior-level role will have the opportunity to be involved in shaping the direction of the company from a strategic and operational point of view.
This is a job that requires endless energy, enthusiasm and the willingness to go above and beyond the norm. It is also a unique opportunity to help grow a socially-conscious business, to implement your own ideas and to develop your skills in a friendly, small, team environment.
This role has huge opportunities for development and progression and we are especially keen to hear from entrepreneurial people who have their own ideas and suggestions on how to grow, develop and improve what we currently offer.
- Development and oversight of all Operational Policies and Procedures
- Ensuring safety regulations are followed on all programmes and within the UK office
- Ensuring brands meet external operational standards and instigating systems and procedures to meet these objectives (i.e. 8848/AALA/OHSAS 18001)
- Management of UK office and team of Expedition Managers
- Recruitment and training of freelance staff and leaders
- Implementing new programmes/products
- Ensuring financial and other agreed targets are met
- Managing in-house Quality Assurance
- Oversight and management of all kit & equipment including kit warehouse.
- Sign-off of all Risk Assessments and Emergency Response Plans
- 24 hour On-call as part of a rota system
Other (Strategy, Development):
- Working closely with the MD to set annual strategy for each of the WE Ltd brands
- Development and improvement of brands – researching new programmes/products/systems.
- Promoting current programmes (and cross-selling wherever possible) – this could include pitches, sales meetings, networking.
Reports to: Managing Director, WE Ltd
Salary: £40,000 plus OTE (est. £5,000-£10,000)
Other Benefits: Training allowance of £1,000 per annum, Laptop/PC and mobile phone provided, Company pension scheme
Shares: The option to buy-in to company shares
- Have experience of managing staff at a senior level
- Have strong operational experience of managing programmes/expeditions remotely
- Have led or taken part in at least one overseas expedition/community project
- Have experience of planning itineraries, budgets and overseas logistics
- Have experience of creating safety management procedures and emergency planning
- Be confident in using Office: Word, Excel, Powerpoint and social media
- Have experience of liaising or working with schools, students or young people
- Knowledge of D of E, BS 8848:2014, LoTC, AALA.
- Prior experience of managing overseas operations/being on 24-hour call
Personal Skills and Qualities:
- Very strong administrative skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Enthusiasm and passion for young people's personal development, responsible travel and international development
- Ability to manage a team
- A positive, can-do outlook and willingness to go the extra mile
- Excellent communication and managerial skills
- A flexible approach to working irregular hours and/or away from home.
- Enhanced DBS (or willingness for WE Ltd to carry out this check)
- Current clean driving licence
- Degree (ideally in related subject: travel, geography, development, marketing, business)
- Remote First Aid (or willingness to gain this qualification)
- Offsite Safety Management qualification
To apply please send the following to [email protected] by 25th Jan
- Current CV (no more than two pages A4)
- A one page letter of application demonstrating how you meet the Person Specification
Contact details of two professional referees (NB these will not be contacted until you have given approval)
We are particularly keen to hear from members of the Explorers Connect community so please mention Explorers Connect in your application.