|at ( view profile)|
|Location||London, United Kingdom|
|Date Posted||20th March 2018|
In the field
Frontier are seeking a Marine Principal Investigator for our research program in Madagascar.
Start date: April 2018
Established in 1989 as a non-profit conservation and development non-governmental organisation (NGO), Frontier has been an innovator in creating quality volunteer programmes across the globe. Since then, Frontier has grown to operate over 330 capacity building conservation, community and adventure projects in over 60 countries, spanning 5 continents. Over the past 26 years Frontier has had volunteers of more than 30 nationalities take part in projects all around the world, making Frontier a truly international organisation with a global impact.
The primary function of a Principal Investigator is to co-ordinate the research programme, involving overall supervision of the biological surveys and implementation of community-based conservation projects.
More specifically, the Principal Investigator role will entail:
- Taking overall responsibility for the leadership of the project and development and implementation of the research programme
- Liasing, developing and maintaining relationships with collaborators
- The supervision and training of junior staff as well as management, support, training and motivation of volunteers / research assistants
- Preparation of project reports, funding proposals and publication of results in scientific journals
- Representing the technical side of the project when liaising with relevant authorities, research institutes and international agencies
- Assisting with project logistics and administration
Although not all essential, these are very useful skills and qualifications for the role; every application is carefully considered:
- The successful candidate will have a good MSc in a relevant environmental discipline
- Experience in marine survey techniques
- Statistical anaylsis and report-writing
- Biodiversity or conservation research experience, ideally in a tropical setting
- Experience of managing overseas projects, volunteers and research camps is beneficial.
- A good level of diving expereince, qualified to at least advanced open water standard.
- Conversational French
We are particularly keen to hear from members of the Explorers Connect community so please mention Explorers Connect in your application.