|at ( view profile)|
|Location||The Royal Geographical Society Building , London, United Kingdom|
|Date Posted||15th March 2018|
The Deputy Chief Leader role varies on each expedition. Primarily, it involves acting as the Chief Leader’s ‘Right Hand Man’ and as a result needs to compliment his/her skills; hence the role is largely defined by the Chief Leader.
The Deputy Chief Leader would take overall responsibility for the expedition should the Chief Leader need to step down for any reason.
- An interest in youth development and experience of working with young people relevant to the expedition client group*
- High levels of integrity and sound judgement
- A strong and flexible team player
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to inspire others
- The ability to deal with conflict and overcome challenges
- Significant personal expedition experience outside the UK
- A proven history of managing group safety in expedition or remote/challenging environments
- Proven experience in managing and leading projects and people
- An enthusiasm for expeditions and the ability to convey this to our Young Explorers
- Adventure First Aid Qualification (weekend training course provided free of charge by British Exploring)
- To inspire our explorers and engage fully in activities to support the educational aims and purpose of the society and expedition
- All leaders must regard it as a priority to ensure the safety of each and every member of the expedition at all times
- Support the Chief Leader and be prepared to take significant responsibilities in the field
- Deliver training to both explorers and leaders as per the training syllabus and as pertinent to the expedition, environment, and proposed activity
- Manage and support the expedition leadership team throughout, taking care always to maintain safety and to deliver the aims of the expedition and the wider society objectives
- Undertake the roles and responsibilities of an expedition leader as delegated by the Chief Leader
- To lead, direct and support leaders and explorers during the expedition, and be prepared to step into the role of Chief Leader if required by the organisation should injury or incapacitation require.
If you required more information and to apply please visit of our website http://www.britishexploring.org/lead-with-us/deputy-chief-leader.aspx
We look forward to receiving your application.
The British Exploring Expedition Team.
We are particularly keen to hear from members of the Explorers Connect community so please mention Explorers Connect in your application.