|Location||Edinburgh, United Kingdom|
|Date Posted||6th January 2020|
Join the Alpine Exploratory team
Posted: 6 January 2020 (Open)
Vacancy: To be confirmed based on the successful candidate
Starting: January or February 2020 (flexible)
Duration: Roughly 9 months up to end-October 2020, or roughly 1 year 9 months up to end-October 2021, as an initial contract and depending on the successful candidate
Location: Our office in central Edinburgh
Hours: Full-time (flexible: 4 days might be possible)
Alpine Exploratory is looking for an enthusiastic person to join our small and friendly team in our Edinburgh office.
How we work
Our central work is advising our clients and making the arrangements for their hiking holidays. There is potential to grow with our small company and to make your work a very exciting mix of tasks, including marketing and business development as well as walking our routes in the Alps, Scandinavia and the UK.
As a team we think about and discuss the travel industry and our part within it. We are building thoughtfully our system of knowledge and holiday planning. We work closely with each other in the office and we enjoy our cheery, fair and positive atmosphere. This is the ethos of the company; it applies equally to our trips. We seek to be as good as possible to our clients, our hotels and ourselves (team and leaders) alike.
Our office hours are 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday, or 6pm in Summer. Our business is seasonal; the months from April to September are our busiest. Our aim with holiday leave is to be flexible and generous, knowing that we all like to travel!
- A warm, confident, precise manner on email and phone with our clients and our accommodation contacts.
- The ability to manipulate a large spreadsheet and keep it updated in an exact manner, given how crucial the exact details are in organising travel.
- A great degree.
- An aptitude for quick, relentless, creative work, often done independently, to find the right answer.
- A general enjoyment of the outdoors and travel.
- Knowledge in, or a desire to learn, programming, use of APIs, and data analytics. There are many areas in which you would have scope to help grow the business. Training courses and time to learn are part of our roles.
- Helpful but not essential qualities are walking experience or a travel industry background, marketing or graphic design experience, and technical experience with web design or Google Sheets.
- Also helpful would be knowledge of French, German, Italian, Slovenian or Scandinavian languages.
- Advising enquirers and clients on the options for their trek, taking their booking, assembling their info pack and keeping in touch throughout the build-up to their trip.
- Keeping up our friendly relations with our hotels and huts. Managing our reservations over email and phone, working in Google Sheets. This becomes intensive in the build-up to our Summer season.
- On-call work on some evenings and weekends. This is agreed among the team and is essential from May to September.
- Thinking in depth about projects to improve our operations, as part of our ongoing discussion.
Please email Simon Stevens at [email protected] with a brief message and your CV. (Please call me Simon.)
We are particularly keen to hear from members of the Explorers Connect community so please mention Explorers Connect in your application.