|at ( view profile)|
|Location||Cambridge, United Kingdom|
|Date Posted||26th June 2018|
We are currently looking to employ a talented Antarctic Operations Assistant to join our team in Cambridge. You will work with the Antarctic Operations Manager with the planning and delivery of an efficient, safe and responsible operation in Antarctica. You will provide administrative, practical and communications support to the operation and you will also play a key role in ensuring the Peninsula stories are shared with the wider world through the website, social and other media.
Our Antarctic operation is fundamental to the success of our charity. It is what most of our supporters were hooked by and for many it is what sustains their interest and engagement. Also Port Lockroy is our primary source of income, so providing high quality visitor experiences and appealing commercial activity is a significant part of this work.
Supporting the Operations Manager in:
- Assisting with recruiting and training the seasonal teams for Antarctica. This includes making bookings, liaising with potential candidates and preparing all documentation for our annual Port Lockroy selection course.
- Procuring supplies, equipment and materials for the season and maintaining accurate records of spending.
- Managing the seasonal inventories.
- Then, in the warehouse, preparing all cargo: supplies, equipment and merchandise for transit. Administering all the associated paperwork for shipping.
- Producing all documentation for the season, including operations manuals, work lists, retail and post office records, cash books, artefact inventories.
- Liaising with suppliers to book meeting rooms and accommodation for seasonal staff training. Then, prepare and produce all documentation for the training.
- Arranging travel, including flights and booking accommodation for the seasonal teams
- Liaising directly with vessel operators to secure berths and then handling any amendments and schedule changes
- Assist in ensuring our emergency planning and response procedures are up to date and our health and safety procedures and records reflect best practice
- Supporting the ongoing conservation and heritage management programme through recording conservation reports, researching base history and preparing reports and public interpretation.
- Supporting the deployed teams in Antarctica through effective communications, troubleshooting and facilitating requests in both directions.
- Sharing operational on call duties with the Operations Manager during the Antarctic season (November – March)
- Creating engaging content for our communications – digital and print, based on the season’s activity, to promote our work and encourage engagement
- Assisting the wider team with communications, retail, public engagement and administrative activity as required
- To ensure at all times the reputation of the Trust is maintained and enhanced through our work.
- Working flexibly with colleagues in the wider support of the aims of the Trust
To undertake all of these with UKAHT values at heart and with a high regard for both Health and Safety and Equal Opportunities.
For full details about the job, including how to apply, please see the job details
The deadline for applications is Monday July 9th 2018 at 5pm.
Interviews will be held on Wednesday July 25th 2018
Any queries about the role may be directed to [email protected] or call 01223 355049.
We are particularly keen to hear from members of the Explorers Connect community so please mention Explorers Connect in your application.