|Published||22nd July 2022|
|Location||Cirencester, United Kingdom|
Inspire tomorrow’s Global Citizens to lead positive global change
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Hybrid working from home and the Cirencester office
- Exciting travel opportunities to the Himalayas, Borneo, East Africa, Central America, and Europe
Who are we?
After life-changing experiences working for the United Nations and International Red Cross overseas, Mark and Katharine set up Global Action to provide outstanding overseas trips for UK school students. Each delivers a unique Global Learning programme, empowering students to affect positive global change. We are now the UK’s leading provider of high-quality Global Learning programmes.
We engage young people in learning about poverty reduction, environmental issues and social justice through educational trips to: Nepal, the Indian Himalayas, Malaysian Borneo, Zanzibar Island, Costa Rica, Greece, and Switzerland.
Global Action is the only UK school trips company whose Directors have worked overseas for the UN at senior management level. We are a young, dynamic company based in Cirencester.
The Operations Manager Role
Reporting to the Managing Director, you will lead our Operations team to deliver high quality school trips overseas. Your aim is quite simply to ensure our students and teachers have outstanding experiences.
Working both from the Cirencester office and remotely, your responsibilities will include:
- To manage and mentor the Operations Team, to ensure all itineraries are deliverable, in-budget and of the highest quality to achieve our vision. This includes setting and oversight of the Operations Cycle.
- Line manage the Operations Team and help support planning for two destinations. This includes supporting our in-country partners to organise all in-country logistical arrangements, with: project work, seminars with United Nations agencies and international NGOs, and outdoor activities such as mountain treks and snorkeling
- Supervise all customer operations processes, including participant and school leader correspondence, payments, webpages and workshop logistics
- Help support some Global Learning Workshops, Leader’s Workshops, Parents’ Information Evenings, and Build Up Days
- Advise and support the Manging Director in designing a new Global Learning Programme in synergy with our new marketing strategy
- To oversee the selection and contracting of qualified Global Action Leaders
- To develop and implement Safety Management Policy and Procedures
- To oversee the 24hr back-up duty management system
- To ensure groups have appropriate safety equipment and manage group equipment orders
- To supervise medical screening for participants with our medical consultant
- Ensure the Destination Managers complete the contracting and auditing with ground partners in good time prior to trip departures
- Source and secure appropriate travel insurance policies at renewal
You will have responsibility for all Operational expenditure to keep within company budgets, and to strict safety standards.
For a dynamic individual proving successful results, there is a real opportunity to expand their responsibility within Global Action.
Attributes, Skills and Experience
- Proven experience in project management, planning and coordination, with excellent administration skills, including budget management and logistics
- Self-confident with excellent communication skills – comfortable presenting to students or parents
- Experience in managing Safety Management Systems
- Excellent time management skills – ability to work to tight deadlines under own initiative without direct supervision, and with very good attention to detail.
- Team player, happy to work in small business where everyone has to be ‘hands on’
- Positive, flexible, and a proactive problem-solver
- Passion for outdoor education, environmental protection, and international development
- Willing to work some evenings, and travel as required (time off in lieu will be given)
- Full UK Driving Licence and own car
- Undergraduate degree (or equivalent professional experience)
- Overseas expedition and/or volunteer experience in developing countries
- Management experience with an expedition company or within the travel industry
- Experience managing activities with school groups
- 22 days annual leave per year, plus extra holiday between Christmas and New Year
- Personal development training courses, and overseas travel opportunities to set up new projects and fieldwork
- Time off In Lieu (TOIL) Policy
- Private healthcare and workplace pension
Closing date: 19 August 2022
Interviews: 25 & 26 August 2022
Start date: 28 September 2022 (or earlier if possible).
Please send your CV, with a cover letter clarifying why you want to work with us, and how you meet the above criteria, to Mark Giffard-Lindsay: [email protected]
Please note we will only be responding to those applicants who will be invited for interview. Thank you.
We are particularly keen to hear from members of the Explorers Connect community so please mention Explorers Connect in your application.