|Location||Any Research Station, Antarctica|
|Date Posted||15th February 2017|
In the field
In the field & office
In the office
Antarctica is the coldest and most isolated continent in the world. It’s also the most exhilarating, providing a unique and spectacular setting for our vital scientific research. By joining the team responsible for building and maintaining our facilities and equipment, you could play a crucial role in our success.
Responsible for the maintenance, repair, support and upkeep of all mechanical and associated services on the station, you will be expected to work on all aspects of mechanical trade, including installations, testing and general maintenance. Using your own initiative, you will be required to be self-motivated and work both individually and as part of a team. You will need to have served a full apprenticeship, have relevant BTEC, City & Guilds or NVQ, along with practical experience.
To take responsibility for all planned maintenance, reactive repair, support and upkeep of all mechanical and associated services on Station.
Served full apprenticeship, BTEC, relevant City & Guilds or NVQ.
Recognised qualification within the mechanical services industry.
Be responsible for the operation, maintenance and repair of:
- Water systems
- Desalination systems
- Sewage systems including sewage treatment plants
- Oil fired boilers
- LPG installations
- Laboratory gas installations
- Heating & ventilation systems
- Fire suppression systems
- Domestic appliances, fridges, freezers, washing machines, tumble dryers etc
- Building management systems (BMS)
- Reporting of problems or work requests to the line manager.
- Carrying out works as directed by the line manager.
- Carrying out the pre-planned maintenance (PPM) programme.
- Carrying out non-routine repair and maintenance as necessary, to ensure the safe, efficient and effective operational needs of the Station.
- Carrying out and supervising the installation of refurbishment works as required to meet the efficient and effective operational needs of the Station.
- Maintenance of tools and resources required to complete all maintenance and repair works.
- Maintaining and revising material and tools stock lists, to ensure that sufficient and adequate spares, equipment and materials are available to carry out all required PPM. Including all planned and programmed repair / replacement works for the following year.
- Reporting and documenting all works carried out through the PPM system.
- Recording and documenting of all reactive works carried out.
- Recording and advising on the requirement to add elements to the PPM system.
- Recording and documenting weekly and monthly installed meter readings.
- Recording and documenting test results on produced water qualities.
- Recording and documenting test results carried out for the presence of Legionella bacteria.
- Production of an annual report on the condition of Station mechanical services, which should include any recommended improvements.
- Work with and ‘stand in for’ other staff to ensure the efficient and effective operational needs of the Station are maintained.
- Undertake other general duties as required or directed by the line manager and Station Leader.
For more details and to apply please see the link below:
The deadline for applications is the 2nd April
We are particularly keen to hear from members of the Explorers Connect community so please mention Explorers Connect in your application.