|Location||Rothera or Halley Research Stations, Antarctica|
|Date Posted||6th February 2017|
In the field
In the field & office
In the office
As an experienced chef you will provide a high standard of professional catering service for the Station. Food deliveries are made once a year and your cooking will need to meet the needs of the scientists and support staff living on the station for up to 18 months using the ingredients you have available. During the winter your customers will be the same ones for up to 295 days so you need to be able to produce a wide variety of dishes to suit your group and cater for any dietary or medical requirements. Life on a remote ice station is not all about the day job. You will be expected to take part in all aspects of station life including First Aid, field living and skills training, cargo handling and a myriad of other tasks.
BAS are looking to employ chefs to complete 18 month and 6 month contracts. This is not your standard hotel or restaurant job. You will be a vital part of the station team. You will travel to Antarctica and as part of your day to day work ride skidoos, be part of the station emergency response teams, fly on small aircraft over the ice shelf’s or sail through the pack ice on one of our ice strengthened ships. When on station all your outdoor and work clothing is provided and with very few opportunities to spend money on station your season could provide you with a tidy sum at the end of it. If you can produce great food with a positive attitude whatever the Antarctic can throw at you this could be the job for you.
The work will be hard but the memories will last for a lifetime.
To provide a high standard of professional catering service for the Station.
NVQ 3 or 4 or equivalent experience.
Nationally recognised qualification in Food Hygiene, minimum Intermediate level. Must be current.
- Catering - Provide as required meals and snacks for station staff and visitors.
- Stock Control - Responsible for food and equipment, stocks and stock rotation. Active involvement with Station managers in ordering replenishment stocks
- Hygiene - Responsible for maintaining high standards of personal and kitchen hygiene.
- Cleaning - Responsible for maintaining cleanliness of kitchen and all food storage areas.
- Training - Responsible for training station members in basic food hygiene and safe working practices.
- Domestic Stores - Responsible for stock control and rotation of domestic cleaning stores.
For further details and to apply please see the link below:
Closing date for applications is 2nd April
We are particularly keen to hear from members of the Explorers Connect community so please mention Explorers Connect in your application.