|Location||The Royal Geographical Society Building , London, United Kingdom|
|Date Posted||28th January 2020|
British Exploring Society (BES) is a world class youth development charity with a unique heritage, founded on the belief that challenging experiences can define lives, empowering and equipping young people with the courage, integrity, skills, resilience and motivation to make the most of their future.
Who we are looking for
We are seeking an experienced senior manager to join the Expeditions Team. The Expeditions Manager, alongside the Head of Expeditions, is responsible for ensuring the high-quality delivery of all operational elements of our expedition programmes including project management of a portfolio of specific expedition locations and oversight of systems and process necessary for the safe delivery of valuable youth development activities.
Main responsibilities & accountabilities;
- To be the organisational lead on specific expedition programmes, taking responsibility for all areas of planning and development according to BES policies and processes
- To take responsibility for the development and review of specific areas of operational process as agreed with the Head of Expeditions & CEO and implement process changes as appropriate
- To manage the annual implementation and review of ‘duty’ communications and training for the team, called ‘DOT’.
- To manage the working practice and support the development of team members as required including an Expedition Coordinator within the Expeditions Team.
- Recruit and induct up to 4 competent senior expedition leaders (Chief Leaders), annually
- Support Chief Leaders, working remotely from the BES office, during the planning phases of expedition programmes
- Act as the first port of call for all queries relating to operational management, Leader and Explorer training
- Work with and negotiate with external agents/contractors in the delivery of expeditions
Expedition Planning and Logistical Development;
- Work closely with, support and guide Chief Leaders and wider expedition leader teams to develop robust and developmental operational plans, considering outcomes for Explorers, organisational policy, industry best practice and building on learning from previous expeditions.
- Liaise with third-party providers in country to ensure logistical plans and support is in place
Leader and Explorer Recruitment, Training and Management;
- Recruit and assess high quality and appropriately skilled volunteer leader teams for upcoming expeditions including; advertising, shortlisting, assessments and selection
- Manage, plan and deliver appropriate and robust induction and training events for both leaders and explorers, as appropriate for each expedition location, operational model and client group.
- Experience of international operational delivery
- Experience & understanding of youth expeditions; both in the field and via operational support
- Understanding of youth development and a belief in the opportunities for positive change that expeditions & outdoor education provide for all young people
- Provision and management of operational support to overseas expeditions and/or outdoor education initiatives in the UK, including management of people, budgets and kit/equipment
- Demonstrable project management experience
- An understanding of the not for profit environment
- Understanding of safety and risk management in expedition and/or outdoor activity contexts
- Experience of working with a wide range of young people
What happens Next?
Please visit our website to apply for this role.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview. In your application please let us know if you have any accessibility requirements, or if you need us to make any adjustments to the interview process.
British Exploring Society is committed to equal opportunity and to building an executive and volunteer team that together represent a diverse variety of backgrounds, skills and perspectives in the world. The more inclusive we are, the better we think we’ll be at delivering our charitable aims.
We are particularly keen to hear from members of the Explorers Connect community so please mention Explorers Connect in your application.