|Location||The Royal Geographical Society Building , London, United Kingdom|
|Date Posted||28th January 2020|
British Exploring Society (BES) is a world class youth development charity with a unique heritage, founded on the belief that challenging experiences can define lives, empowering and equipping young people with the courage, integrity, skills, resilience and motivation to make the most of their future.
Who we are looking for
We are seeking two enthusiastic and talented individuals to join our Expeditions Team. The Expeditions Coordinators, will support the high-quality delivery of all elements of our expedition programmes, undertaking operational, logistical and administrative duties to promote the safe delivery of valuable youth development activities.
The successful candidates will combine solid project management skills with a creative approach and demonstrable commitment to British Exploring Society values and mission. They will enjoy working in an energetic, fast-paced environment, show flexibility to a range of working practices and be motivated to add value to the organisation in a variety of ways.
Main responsibilities & accountabilities, to include but not necessarily limited to;
- Field and respond to queries from both leaders and participants pre and post expedition.
- Support expedition leader teams, working remotely from the BES office, during the planning phases of expedition programmes.
- Identify and liaise with external agents/contractors in the delivery of expeditions.
Expedition Planning and Logistical Development:
- Support expedition leader teams in the development of operational plans.
- Liaise with third-party providers to ensure logistical plans and support is in place.
- Support the maintenance and coordination of expedition equipment.
- Liaise with flight agents to secure appropriate air travel itineraries for expedition teams.
Leader and Explorer Recruitment, Training and Management:
- Contribute to the recruitment of high quality and appropriately skilled volunteer leader teams for upcoming expeditions including; advertising, shortlisting, assessments and selection.
- Support the recruitment of expedition participants through the development and maintenance of accurate and engaging recruitment information material and marketing copy.
- Support the delivery of appropriate and robust induction and training events for both leaders and explorers, as appropriate for each expedition location, operational model and client group.
- Support senior colleagues and expedition leaders to deliver expeditions on budget, being mindful of cost effective practice at all times.
- Procure resources and equipment for expedition as required and directed by Head of Expeditions, in line with expedition budgets.
Safety & Risk Management, and Industry Compliance:
- Contribute to the regular internal review of organisational policies and operating procedures to ensure and maintain best practice.
- Contribute to risk and incident analysis to promote organisational learning, and to ensure compliance with external audit and accreditation.
- Support Expedition Leader Teams and colleagues to develop risk and incident management protocols appropriate for the expedition location and client group.
Crisis & Incident Management:
- To be ‘on call’ as a Duty Officer during operational periods as part of a duty rota, providing 24/7 support to expedition teams.
- To contribute to the coordination of responses to field incidents or crises.
- To support the process of reconciliation post expedition programmes, to include; receiving and reviewing leader and participant feedback; financial reconciliation; equipment maintenance; soliciting reports; compiling lessons learned and action planning.
Governance and partnership:
- Representing the charity as an ambassador in a range of public fora, providing opportunities for us to learn and to improve from others in the sector.
What Happens Next?
Please visit our website to apply for the role.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview. In your application please let us know if you have any accessibility requirements, or if you need us to make any adjustments to the interview process.
British Exploring Society is committed to equal opportunity and to building an executive and volunteer team that together represent a diverse variety of backgrounds, skills and perspectives in the world. The more inclusive we are, the better we think we’ll be at delivering our charitable aims.
We are particularly keen to hear from members of the Explorers Connect community so please mention Explorers Connect in your application.