|Location||The Royal Geographical Society Building , London, United Kingdom|
|Date Posted||8th October 2020|
Join Our Expedition – British Exploring Society
“One of the best decisions I’ve ever made.”
British Exploring Society is a world class youth development charity with a unique heritage, founded on the belief that challenging experiences can change lives, empowering and equipping young people with the courage, skills, resilience and determination to make the most of their future.
British Exploring Society is a youth development charity that brings diverse people together to work in challenging environments. It creates expeditions that help equip young people with the courage, skills and resilience to make the most of their future.
Expeditions are between 2 weeks and 6 weeks long and typically take place in the Spring, Summer and Autumn holiday periods. For 2021, we are currently recruiting Leaders for our expeditions to the Peruvian Amazon, the Canadian Yukon, the Finnish Lakeland, Iceland and the Scottish Highlands.
We welcome applications for all our Leader positions, including Adventure Leaders, Knowledge Leaders, Social Leaders and Medical Leaders. Additionally, we are keen to hear from those with relevant or transferable senior leadership experience to fulfil our Basecamp Manager, Trainee Leader Mentor, Chief and Deputy Chief Leader roles.
We take young people to remote locations where they face challenges, gain skills and learn about themselves and the fragile environments that they explore. This is a chance to work with young people on expeditions to remote locations where they face challenges, gain skills and learn about themselves.
Benefits of leading with us
- Lead, inspire and facilitate the personal development of young people in remote and wild environments
- Meet a huge range of new people, forging friendships and memories of shared experiences
- Learn new skills and develop existing skills that can help shape and support your career
- Become part of a community of volunteer Leaders and a Member of British Exploring Society
We are looking for applicants who are:
- Able and passionate about leading, inspiring, and teaching young people.
- Comfortable spending extended periods in remote and sometimes harsh environments.
- Able to commit to pre-expedition training events throughout February and May and are available for between 2 to 6 weeks from early April 2021 to end of August 2021.
As a charity, all Leader positions are undertaken on a voluntary basis and Leaders join for the intrinsic value of adventure, education and personal development of young people. You do not have to fundraise to lead on our expeditions.
Prior to expedition all volunteer Leaders will receive training and support. All main expedition costs are covered, including insurance, specialist equipment, expedition food and accommodation. Leaders will need to provide their own personal kit as well as vaccinations and visas (if applicable). Leaders may claim expenses for UK training events, and we do ask that first time Leaders cover the cost of their flights.
How do I apply?
Please visit https://www.britishexploring.org/lead/ for further info about our volunteer roles and to apply to lead with us. If you have any further questions, please contact us directly on [email protected]
We are particularly keen to hear from members of the Explorers Connect community so please mention Explorers Connect in your application.