|Location||Any Research Station, Antarctica|
|Date Posted||13th February 2017|
In the field
In the field & office
In the office
Antarctica is the coldest and most isolated continent in the world. It’s also the most exhilarating, providing a unique and spectacular setting for our vital scientific research. By joining the team responsible for building and maintaining our facilities and equipment, you could play a crucial role in our success.
Responsible for the maintenance, repair, support and upkeep of all electrical services on the station, you will be expected to work on all aspects of the electrical trade, including installations, breakdowns and testing. Using your own initiative, you will be required to undertake duties without direct technical guidance on site. You will need a full electrical apprenticeship, and will have attained a relevant BTEC or City & Guilds qualification, together with practical experience.
To take responsibility for all planned maintenance, reactive repair, support and upkeep of all electrical and associated services on Station.
Served full apprenticeship, BTEC, relevant City & Guilds or NVQ.
Recognised qualification within the electrical services industry.
Be responsible for the operation, maintenance and repair of:
- Refrigeration systems
- Fire Alarms
- General lighting & power
- All electrically operated fans, motors, pumps etc
- Fire extinguishers.
- Breathing apparatus
- Domestic appliances, fridges, freezers, washing machines, tumble dryers etc.
- All electrical aspects of Station power from 12v, 110v, 230v and 415v (3 phase) supplies.
- Building management systems (BMS).
- Carrying out all required portable appliance testing (PAT).
- Electrical controls
- Reporting of problems or work requests to the line manager.
- Carrying out works as directed by the line manager.
- Carrying out the pre-planned maintenance (PPM) programme.
- Carrying out non-routine repair and maintenance as necessary, to ensure the safe, efficient and effective operational needs of the Station.
- Carrying out and supervising the installation of refurbishment works as required to meet the efficient and effective operational needs of the Station.
- Maintenance of tools and resources required to complete all maintenance and repair works.
- Maintaining and revising material and tools stock lists, to ensure that sufficient and adequate spares, equipment and materials are available to carry out all required PPM. Including all planned and programmed repair/replacement works for the following year.
- Reporting and documenting all works carried out through the PPM system.
- Recording and documenting of all reactive works carried out.
- Recording and advising on the requirement to add elements to the PPM system.
- Recording and documenting weekly and monthly installed meter readings.
- Recording and documenting test results on electrical installations.
- Production of an annual report on the condition of Station electrical services, which should include any recommended improvements.
- Work with and ‘stand in for’ other staff to ensure the efficient and effective operational needs of the Station are maintained.
- Undertake other general duties as required or directed by the line manager and Station Leader.
Applications & Deadlines
For more details and to apply please see the link below:
Applications close 2nd April
We are particularly keen to hear from members of the Explorers Connect community so please mention Explorers Connect in your application.