|Location||Rothera, Halley, Bird Island, KEP, Antarctica|
|Date Posted||6th February 2017|
In the field
In the field & office
In the office
We are recruiting experienced and skilled technicians to take responsibility for maintenance, repair and support of all static and mobile electrical power producing plant and equipment at our research stations in Antarctica.
We are offering a rare opportunity to do what may seem like an ordinary job in the most extraordinary place on Earth. The UK’s polar research effort is critically important for understanding environmental issues that affect everyone. Antarctica is also the most exhilarating and spectacular workplace you could imagine.
You will have served a full apprenticeship, have a BTEC, relevant City & guilds or NVQ with a recognised qualification within the within the petrol/diesel fuelled engine maintenance industry, and have post qualification/apprenticeship practical site experience.
With high levels of self-motivation and strong team-working skills you will be able to manage your time well, anticipate problems and take responsibility for reporting issues to your managers and fellow team members.
As a member of the Engineering and Technology Team (Estates) you will be responsible for supporting planned maintenance, reactive repair, up-keep of all static and mobile electrical power producing plant and equipment on Station, including all non-mobile plant and equipment i.e. Nifty Lift, air compressors, chain saws etc. Using your own initiative you will be required to undertake duties without direct technical guidance on site, but you will know when to seek advice or guidance.
Served full apprenticeship, BTEC, relevant City & Guilds or NVQ.
Recognised qualification within the petrol / diesel fuelled engine maintenance industry.
Working under the direction of, and reporting to, your line manager and Research Station Leader you will contribute your expertise and skills to support the efficient operation, maintenance and repair of:
- All electrical power producing plant and equipment.
- All non-mobile plant and equipment.
- All aspects of Station electrical power production.
- All Mobile generator plant.
- All non-mobile plant and equipment i.e. Nifty Lift, air compressors, chain saws etc.
- All aspects of power generation controllers.
To ensure that operational needs of the research station are met efficiently and effectively you will be responsible for:
- Responsible for all generator maintenance schedules
- Responsible for refuelling the Station wide fuel tanks.
- Reporting of problems or work requests to the line manager.
- Carrying out works as directed by the line manager.
- Carrying out the pre-planned maintenance (PPM) programme.
- Carrying out non-routine repair and maintenance as necessary, to ensure the safe, efficient and effective operational needs of the Station.
- Carrying out and supervising the installation of refurbishment works as required to meet the efficient and effective operational needs of the Station.
- Maintenance of tools and resources required to complete all maintenance and repair works.
- Maintaining and revising material and tools stock lists, to ensure that sufficient and adequate spares, equipment and materials are available to carry out all required PPM. Including all planned and programmed repair / replacement works for the following year.
- Reporting and documenting all works carried out through the PPM system.
- Recording and documenting of all reactive works carried out.
- Recording and advising on the requirement to add elements to the PPM system.
- Recording and documenting weekly and monthly installed meter readings.
- Production of an annual report on the condition of Station plant conditions and services, which should include any recommended improvements.
- Work with and ‘stand in for’ other staff to ensure the efficient and effective operational needs of the Station are maintained.
- Undertake other general duties as required or directed by the line manager and Station Leader.
Application & Deadlines
For more details and to apply please see the link below:
Applications close 2nd April 2017
We are particularly keen to hear from members of the Explorers Connect community so please mention Explorers Connect in your application.