|Location||Path Hill Outdoors, Path Hill, Goring Heath, RG8 7RE, Goring Heath near Reading, United Kingdom|
|Date Posted||14th January 2021|
Adventure and Activities Manager
Company: Path Hill Outdoors
Salary range: £27,000 - £32,000 (dependant on experience and qualifications)
Location: Goring Heath, near Reading, RG8 7RE
Working Hours: 5 days a week (some evenings, overnights and weekends)
Holiday : 25 days p.a.
Pension: Contributory Nest pension
Job Type: Permanent, Full Time
Responsible to: Directors of Path Hill Outdoors
Path Hill Outdoors was established 10 years ago. It is an outdoor education base set in 800 acres of Oxfordshire beech forest specialising in alternative curriculum and re-engagement programmes.
We currently have an exciting opening for an experienced Adventure and Activities Manager with a proven track record in working with young people and adults in the outdoors. The ideal candidate will be confident in planning for and leading/facilitating groups on and off-site along with managing the staff team working on them. During the warmer months, we work with mainstream schools delivering residential summer camps and day groups in our woodlands. Whilst in term time you will also be involved in supporting and delivering on the 1:1 programme.
Path Hill Outdoors has remained open during the Covid crisis as much of our work is with vulnerable young people. As with most other outdoor centres, our work with mainstream schools and family groups dried up during 2020 and the restart in 2021 is a movable feast. The Covid pandemic has made Path Hill reassess our direction. There is a widespread acknowledgement that the outdoors is crucial to everyone’s mental and physical wellbeing. With this in mind, we are launching Path Hill Adventures.
As the Adventures and Activities Manager, you will have a key role in determining the direction of Path Hill Adventures. Adventures take many forms. For some it will be a physical challenge or being part of a team in the outdoors, for others, it will be discovering or learning something new. You will need to develop programmes that meet that spectrum of needs.
You’ll need to be able to look at the physical environment, infrastructure, skills and experience of the existing staff team here to create exciting programmes and events. Alongside this, you will ensure activities are accessible and tailored to all socio-economic groups. Integrating existing staff and students into Path Hill Adventures will also be key, ensuring that our Path Hill values are reflected in all that is delivered.
To plan, organise and deliver outdoor activities and expeditions to groups and some individual students to meet required learning outcomes. To develop workshops, taster sessions, experiences and expeditions, day and weekend courses for Path Hill Adventures. To identify training needs and to plan and deliver staff training. Oversee SOPs and risk assessments and know of National Governing Bodies and legislations.
Skills and experience required
- 5 years’ plus experience delivering outdoor activities to young people and adults
- Mountain Leader Award (summer)
- Canoe Paddle Sport Instructor qualification (minimum)
- High-level Bush Craft experience
- Passion for teaching in the outdoors
- Experience of writing risk assessments and SOP’s
- High level of customer service
- A good level of written and spoken English and IT
- Working knowledge of the sector regulations and licencing
- Happy to work some weekends and evenings (additional pay or time off in lieu)
- Full UK driving licence
- First Aid Training (16 hours)
Skills and experience desired
- Archery experience/qualification (i.e. GNAS)
- Mountain Biking experience (i.e. MIAS or British Cycling)
- Paddle Sport Leader qualification
- Experience of SEN (Special Needs Education)
- Trailer Licence
Key personal qualities
- Excellent organisational, communication, leadership and motivational skills
- Ability to use own initiative and to adopt a solution-focused approach
- Passionate, enthusiastic and energetic
- Belief in the mental health and physical benefits of being outdoors
- Willingness to continue professional and personal development in outdoor adventurous activities
- A drive to help colleagues be the best instructors they can be
- Willingness to roll your sleeves up and ‘muck in’
- Good sense of humour
- Closing date for applications 8th February 2021
- Initial shortlisting 9th -12th February 2021 (if you do not hear from us by the 12th February please assume your application has not been shortlisted)
- Initial telephone interviews 15th – 19th February 2021
- Zoom interviews with shortlisted candidates 22nd – 26th February 2021
- Outdoor interviews conducted at Path Hill Outdoors 1st-5th march 2021
Start date: 5th March or ASAP after a notice period
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
The appointment is a full-time post. The date of commencement will be as soon as is possible for the person appointed.
The first six months will be regarded as a probationary period. The post is subject to satisfactory on-going observations, assessments and DBS reports. There will be an on-going review of the job description.
Applications to be emailed to Julia Warwick at [email protected]
- A covering letter explaining your interest, experience and suitability for the post
- Full CV
- The names and addresses of two referees (one referee should be your last employer or equivalent)
Path Hill Outdoors is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. This post is subject to a successful enhanced DBS check and references.
Covid -19 - We are currently open as a centre and we are making every effort to ensure that Path Hill Outdoors is Covid safe for staff and our students. If we have to temporarily close due to a Covid outbreak or staff isolation, the telephone and face to face interview dates listed may change.
If you are invited for an interview, it will be conducted at a safe distance, in the outdoors, using the required PPE.
We are particularly keen to hear from members of the Explorers Connect community so please mention Explorers Connect in your application.