|at ( view profile)|
|Location||Bristol, United Kingdom|
|Date Posted||10th February 2017|
In the office
Sales & Marketing
In 2016 Swoop helped over 1,500 people realise their dreams and adventures in Patagonia, Antarctica and the Arctic; booking over £5m of adventure holidays. We’re an award-winning Bristol based team of 16 people: adventurous, ambitious and committed to leading the industry in our approach to acquiring and serving customers, and to building a unique community that shares our passion for the world’s most remote landscapes. Our regional specialism gives us a competitive advantage that we continually reinforce, especially when it comes to hiring new team members.
Swoop Patagonia has three distinct types of bookings to serve different customer needs:
• An advisory service for independent travellers by which we introduce customers to the most suitable local guides and operator for any guided adventure in the Patagonian Andes (from our network of 100+)
• A bespoke 2-4 week holiday for those clients seeking a truly unique hiking, wildlife, cultural or self-drive experience; exploring Patagonia at its most remote and off-the-beaten track. This is popular with second-time visitors and highly experienced global travellers.
• Private tours for customers to experience the most iconic landscapes of Patagonia with a good level of comfort and support throughout.
We currently have a team of four sales specialists (one of whom will be taking maternity leave in the second half of 2017) plus two support roles.
The role and responsibilities
Swoop is looking for a sales and commercial manager to lead the Private Tours proposition; working alongside our Head of Independent and Head of Bespoke. We need someone who can contribute their share of the team’s monthly bookings, whilst at the same time designing the marketing, commercial, product and service proposition for Private Tours. The right person should also be able to act as a sales and commercial coach and mentor to the wider team.
The Private Tours proposition should provide our customers with an extraordinary and wonderful experience in Patagonia, and be highly efficient in its production and delivery. By 2019 we expect that no sales support or operational support will be required for these bookings, thanks to their efficient architecture and the responsibilities taken on by our local partners.
In addition to delivering >20% of the team’s bookings we expect you to:
• Review the website and marketing proposition for Private Tours and work with the marketing team to deliver significant growth in the number of enquiries and leads
• Take a ‘one-team’ attitude to the allocation of customer leads across the three booking types; working closely with Head of Independent and Head of Bespoke
• Conduct an in-depth review of partners and suppliers to identify the best partners to support our customers for Private Tours; balancing customer experience, operational efficiency and commercial requirements
• Identify and define opportunities for systems and process improvements to drive internal efficiency
• Provide outstanding coaching and support to sales execs to improve conversion rates and reduce lead times
• Define communication to customers post-booking; ensuring that Swoop customers set off on their adventures better informed and more excited than any other visitors
• In-depth review of customer feedback and associated management of suppliers, seeking to improve our service every season
• Define our standard operating procedure for Incidents and Emergencies, and taking responsibility for our response
You will have line management responsibility for an experienced and senior sales exec who currently delivers our Private Tours bookings. For the first 6 months you will also be providing maternity cover for the Head of Independent sales, line managing another sales exec. Ideally you’d also be able to, during this period, cover the bookings of more technical/adventurous customers (eg mountaineering, ice cap expeditions).
Experience, background, values
The ideal candidate will have:
• a deep knowledge of and respect for Patagonia and its people
• 10+ years of travel industry experience: sales, product, operations, commercial
• outstanding people skills and the empathy to fit into and lead an already close-knit team
• an adventurous spirit
• a natural inclination towards architecting itineraries, concepts and processes
• good attention to detail, and a natural sense of order and structure
• an authenticity and ‘no bullshit’ approach to communication
• the ambition to build something truly remarkable in the travel industry
• a love for helping people explore remote landscapes
• The role is based at our offices on Park Street in Bristol
• Office hours are 9am to 6pm, however there are occasions (eg in peak season) where more work may be required; each member of the team also covers one weekend in four (2-6 hours).
• Twenty days of paid holiday will be awarded each year, in addition to bank holidays. Furthermore a research trip to Patagonia may be required each year.
• Salary will competitive based on experience and travel industry norms
• You will report to Luke Errington, Swoop’s founder and MD
CV and one-page answer to the question “Why Patagonia?” to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will close by the 28 Feb 2017
We are particularly keen to hear from members of the Explorers Connect community so please mention Explorers Connect in your application.